Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day and other Fun

We all woke up too late to make breakfast in bed for Rob (like I got for Mother's Day), so we took him to lunch after worship and spent the afternoon at the PX.

The kids each made a picture, and here's some of the other loot.
I made this art collage as a class project last week and blogged about how to make it here.

I had WAY TOO MUCH fun shopping for these!
Everyone know what they are? Well, just in case you don't, it's the symbol for the Rebel Alliance (from Star Wars of course). I bought them from this seller. There are so many fun Star Wars cuff links it was really hard to choose! I thought these were the best because they are Star Wars but they're still kind of sleek and kind of like a little secret!

So I broke out the sewing machine. *GASP!* I know. It's be AGES since I did anything crafty that didn't involve the computer. We got in this new pattern by Amy Butler at the shop and I couldn't resist!!

The yellow fabric is from the Basic Grey line. As is the purple fabric below. Anyone remember when I bought this fabric and said it was going to become a shirt? It was right before Christmas when Kara gave me the cute little purple earrings. Well, this fabric is now happy to be a dress and I wore my earrings with it today!
I made the dress first and it's a size too big. I'm going to have to do some adjustments. I did the shirt next and it fits much better. The photo editing is just for fun because the background was so busy.

The really funny part is that I remember sometime back in the 80's when my mom and I were shopping at Anthony's (that's a department store in Texas, not the Pizza place here) and tent shirts and stretch pants were all the rage! I was a little on the hefty side and some lady in the store said the tent shirts looked like maternity clothes and I would have plenty of time for that later! Now here I am in 2009 with my tent shirt and stretch pants! Life is funny. At least this one is a little classier than the knit one from the 80's!

5 comments:

  1. glad you had a good father's day! that dress is so pretty! and the shirt is adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress and top! I so want to make the top. I'll have to try yours on to see if it's the size I need or what. If that's ok...:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture of the kids with dad. The new dress / top very nice and you look beutiful :) I used to wear leggins with big tops and sometimes with a belt in 1989Holly cow, I am getting old. Loved those days....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it all!! The dress and top is so cool. I think they should use 'your' picture in the top for their model, very pretty.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. darling dress/top, the pattern is great! and I love the color. We were at the PX on fathers day too, my husband wanted tools, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete